Saturday, April 22, 2017

Spring break and other things


Hello! This is Jaelyn again. I’m sorry that I haven’t written for a little while, I’ll try to write monthly! Thank you for all responding to the last blog post I wrote and asking questions! I will aim to answer as many as possible. ;).

So, spring break just finished a week ago, so we’re back at school, but break was pretty awesome!! It was kind of like a gigantic weekend. I did a lot of sleeping in, and then a fair bit of reading… plus a couple of sleep-overs. I actually had two in a row… and let’s just say that it took me a couple days to recover. We had a little Easter egg hunt with some friends from the American Embassy, and I am very excited to finish eating my chocolate!!

We also went to the village once during the break. For me, I often just bring a book and read while my parents are talking/working, because I’m not usually able to understand what is being said. There aren’t many people in the village who can speak French, and I am unable to speak Fulfulde. However, this recent village trip, I took a bottle of nail polish, and painted the girls’ nails. Most of the girls were a little shy, and some were scared of me, but once they saw me painting one girl’s nails, they all gathered around me and waited for their turn.  I did bring a book, since there were some parts of the trip in which there were no little girls, but I found it fun to interact a little with them! Maybe I’ll bring a different colour next time…



My mom and I also went to the ladies’ sewing school near the village, where my mom’s been doing a little teaching about hygiene, nutrition, etc. This time she was doing a review on hand-washing. I thought it was cool to look around and see all the different projects the ladies were working on. I also thought that the iron they used was fascinating, much different than the North American ones that we use!!
You can see the iron sitting on the table next to the woman 


Again, if anybody has any questions, feel free to ask! I’ll work on answering some of the ones I haven’t done yet- I know some people wanted to know my thoughts on Niger vs. Canada, as well as the part about the hospital releasing bodies… I’ll try to answer them another time!


And now, for the long awaited picture of my locker. Sorry about the bad lighting, the camera I was using was not the best!!


13 comments:

  1. Love reading your posts Jaelyn! Your locker doesn't look as bad as I was expecting! I love that you are finding ways to connect with the little girls there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Esther Eemo! I'm sure Hannah is a great writer as well!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry for reiterating constantly but I'm glad to see how well you are able to express yourself. Keep on writing! Personally I love languages and feel you have an exciting opportunity to learn different ones there! Also your locker is miles better than mine was! You have a two tier half locker which is different to me. Did you create a sheld yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that was supposed to say shelf!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! All the lockers at Sahel come with a handy shelf to separate it into halves. Unfortunately, the lockers aren't full length. :(

      Delete
    3. Ah I see! Well yours doesn't seem to be over filled so it looks like it's a sufficient size! I feel, just a little more effort, and it would be clean! Even to my cousin Mira! ;)

      Delete
  3. Great post Jaelyn! Your locker really isn't that bad! It looks like you made some little girls in the village very happy and that you enjoyed the experience too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm relieved to hear that my locker isn't that bad.

      Delete
  4. Way to go Jaelyn. You are great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tjosy is Uncle Tim Tjosvold just in case you didn't make the connection. Keep writing. We love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Uncle Tim!! Thanks for clarifying, though I don't know anyone else who could be Tjosie :)

      Delete
  6. What a great way to connect with these girls even with out words, Jaelyn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post Jaelyn! I loved your writing and honesty. It's really cool to read about what is happening over in Niger; especially from your perspective and what a day in your life looks like. Keep on writing and sharing your insights and perspectives.

    ReplyDelete