Hello! It’s Jaelyn again. Miss me much? Sorry I haven’t
written for a while!
School let out last month, so we’ve been enjoying a nice
summer break. Of course, my parents still have to work, but Nathan and I get to
relax a little. It’s awesome to be waking up at 10:00
AM every morning! I’ve been reading tons but also have been
cautiously taking up some new hobbies.
One of the girls on my team began to give me some sewing
lessons over the summer. However, we only got to have 2 lessons before she left
for Canada. I
made a couple bookmarks and a little drawstring bag!! (Thanks so much Elise!!)
![]() |
| I'm not very good at making my seams straight... |
I also have started to make cards. With my very limited
supplies, things sometimes look a little bit… special, but I’m going to order
some more things and hopefully will be able to make some cool cards!
We also just came back from the village. I brought nail
polish again, and painted nails for the girls. This time, I also met a little
girl who sat down next to me, even after I finished her nails. I gave her a
paper and pencil, and was surprised when she started to do math problems! She
is in a grade that is approximately equivalent to kindergarten, and she already
knew how to add multiple numbers and even to carry! However, she doesn’t yet
know the alphabet, and when I wrote it out for her, she didn’t quite understand
what I was doing.
| This is Dikkana - she looks pretty small for 8 years old, but she is the one that did the great math. She also takes care of her baby brother...he's about a month old.... |
| Once word got out that I was painting nails, the girls came from everywhere...all wearing their party clothes! |
After that, I went out to paint more nails, and
surprisingly, a large crowd of young boys surrounded me as I painted nails.
(Though none of them asked to have their nails painted J.) After gesturing to
my paper multiple times, I finally figured out that they wanted paper. I took
out a pad of sticky-notes, and one of the older boys took to writing the names
of all the boys around me. Of course, there were about 7 boys, so it was kind
of hard to remember who was who. To add to the confusion, they then began to
write the name of a man in that hut over there, or the little boy wandering
around outside. I very highly doubt that I’ll be able to identify them again! I
did figure out that the boy in front of me was Ali, the boy to my left was
Boubacar, and the one to my right was Aminou, (Sorry, I didn’t take pictures of
them while I was at the village!!) but that probably won’t do me much good for
identifying them in the future!
![]() |
| My Fulfulde name is "Amina" |
So bye until next month or so! In that time, I’ll be
preparing a post about Canada
vs. Niger, as
was requested! Remember to comment if there’s anything you would like to hear
about, from the perspective of a missionary kid!!




Your cards look good! :) Wish I would have known because I was trying to get rid of some stuff...posted it on share and someone else grabbed it. Looks like you cut your hair really short. Cute!
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting Jaelyn!I think your sewing is a great start! If you enjoy it keep up with it! Practice makes perfect! Amina is your name in fulfulde? Out of curiosity is this because your name is hard to pronounce I fulfulde? Also does Nathan accompany you on these trips?
ReplyDeleteWell, each member of my family has a fulfulde name. They actually can pronounce Jaelyn, but not Nathan, so a fulani man named me Amina. Nathan does come on these village trips, but he often sits in a hut and reads. Thanks for your questions!
DeleteJae. Char is super excited to have you paint her nails. Thank you for sharing and giving us a glimpse of your life in Niger. Please keep the stories coming. Love you 😘
ReplyDeleteHi Jaelyn, thank you for your post! Your sewing and cards look great! I think it's amazing that you are interacting and having such an impact on the kids in the village. Good luck learning all of their names! Love you, Auntie Helen
ReplyDeleteSuch a great read! We miss you guys! Loving the cards designs, Jae!! Can't wait to read more entries from you! Talia misses you and often asks about you. Take care!
ReplyDeleteAuntie Jess and uncle Allen are both up at 4 am to feed and care for baby Chloe. Love all your posts. Keep it up Jae! I talk about you and your amazing family a lot at work because I am so proud of you!
ReplyDeleteHi Jaelyn! Thank you for sharing some of your experiences in Niger! Your sewing and cards look great! I think it's wonderful that you can relate to the girls and boys in the village! I'm sure they enjoy having you visit like all the cousins do when you visit us :) Can't wait to read your next post!
ReplyDeleteWay to go Jaelyn. This is fantastic. Don't forget that I get an autographed copy of your first book.
ReplyDelete