I wasn't sure if I should post this or not. It's kind of vulnerable, and not that well-written, but I've left it for a couple of weeks and have decided to go ahead and post it. I decided to post it so people who think "man, Mira, you are so awesome to go and do what you do, it's amazing!" can see how NOT amazing I can be.
I have been going to do eye exams at a clinic run by Americans on a regular basis and this was written after a day at the clinic some time last month:
| My "clinic" |
I am such a jerk. Not trying to get
empathy or have people say "no Mira, you are not"....I'm just wanting to
say that God showed me today what a total jerk I can be. I didn't even
know I was being a jerk. Sometimes I'm a jerk and I know it. Not this
time.
I
was actually feeling a little proud. Had managed to get to the clinic
despite some student protests that caused crazy traffic and I was proud I had persevered
and still showed up (albeit 20min late).
I
had checked my attitude today. Different things that had gone through
my mind in the past (which I knew I was being a jerk for) include: I
don't even get paid for this....do you know how much I could make doing
this in Canada? I am sacrificing my time and energy doing this, does
anyone appreciate it? What's the point? Am I really helping or is this
just something I'm doing to make myself feel better? Am I really
changing things by doing these eye exams in this country?! Anyway,
today, I had checked my attitude. I had prayed for love and humility as I
saw patients. I truly wanted to help people and felt like I could make a difference.
Being in this totally different culture has many ups and downs. Lots
of things we still learn on a daily basis of what is proper and not.
Sometimes, I don't really care what is proper. I just want to get things
done and I get desensitized. I've had to tell countless people that
their vision will not return or that they are going blind and there is
not much to be done. I've had interesting reactions to this statement
(sometimes through a translator as the person doesn't speak French or
Fulfulde) and most of the time, it is indifference. Almost like they had
no hope anyway and I was their last resort, at least they tried. What else can be done? Well I had to do it again today. I told a lady
she had basically gone blind in one eye and the other was going to
follow suit. I was such a jerk. I said it so matter-of-factly. And she
started to cry. And I realized what a totally insensitive jerk I had
been. And her loss of vision and her despair hit me. And my attitude and
lack of empathy hit me. And I started to weep with her. How
could I be so cold? How will this loss of vision affect her life? She's the same age as me with probably a whole lot more kids. Is
there anything else I can do? As we wept together, I asked her if I
could pray for her. She agreed. She allowed me to pray and we just kept
crying. That was how my day started. I still had a waiting room full of
patients that wanted to see if there was anything I could do to help
them.
Lord have mercy.
I made it through the day and have
learned so much in just 8 hours. Have learned (again) that even if I
can't do much here in this horrible system that lacks technology and
basic necessities, I can show kindness. People are coming with hope and
in need. The least I can do is try my best and be kind in response.
Oh Mira, your kindness is one of your many gifts. Thanks for sharing this vulnerable post.
ReplyDeleteGod works in such mysterious ways. Do you not believe this woman was sent to you so that you could figure out how you actually feel? Life is unkind not God. I for one could never do what you and Roger do. Also I feel that maybe the language barrier might also cause this wall allowing you to be insensitive to a point? Anyways. I only keep replying to Jaelyn''s post and felt the want to reply to one of yours. Much love to you and of course the whole Family! God bless you.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this Mira. Jesus is fantastic through you. Enjoy that. Thank you for being there and serving. This is good. Blessings and squishes.
ReplyDeleteHi Mira, thank you for this post (I'm a few entries behind, so just reading it now). I had a similar experience recently in my practice and can easily identify with the need to repeatedly check one's attitude each day. Even in Canada there are many frustrations in the system but kindness always prevails.
ReplyDeleteRemembering you in our prayers and may He continue to use you all in powerful ways!