| Jaelyn in action on her computer |
Hey!
So I’m Jaelyn, the daughter of Mira and Roger. My
mom decided to pull me into writing a blog post for you guys, partially
inspired by a video conference with my aunt. (Yes, I’m apparently writing a
blog post, Esther Eemo!) I’m currently twelve years old, I think, and I guess I
like to write. Thus the reason my mother has pawned off her blog-writing
responsibilities to me for the time being! I also love to read, (my mother may
have mentioned this in her past blog posts…) and yeah! I was told to write
about anything that I want to… so I guess I’ll just pull a topic out of a hat…
;)
I go to a missionary school,
as the faithful blog readers may know, and I’m in 7th grade. The school is run off of an American school system, though it’s an international school,
and thus I am in Middle School. In Canada,
Junior High starts in Grade 7, but Middle School is grades 6-8, so I missed a
year of it during our year in Canada…
oh well! I’ve settled in pretty well, and have kind of gotten used to the flow
of things-which is probably good because the year is already halfway over!! My
locker is quite atrocious, (I have friends who can’t bear to look at it…) but
somehow I’m able to grab and stuff things into it in time to get to class, and
I haven’t been late that often… I guess…
Well, anyhow, I think I’ll give you a run-down of a typical
school day here! At 6:00 AM we’re supposed to wake up to get ready
for school. I, for one, am not so fond of this, because I am in great need of
my beauty sleep! I’ve gotten used to it though, and so I’m usually able to be
up and have eaten breakfast by 6:50-ish. School starts at 7:30 in order to beat traffic and to have a few hours of
cool weather in the morning, so we usually leave the house around 7:00. This semester, P.E. (physical education,
or gym,) for Middle School is first thing in the morning. Last semester, it was
last period of the day… read: hottest time of the day, and I am surprised that
none of us threw up! We are all very grateful for the teachers who shuffled around
their schedules to let us have P.E. in the morning!! Anyways, school lets out
at 2:30, and we try to beat traffic
home, as the hospital by the school releases the bodies at 3:00, and weaving your way around the funeral processions
is brutal! When we get home, my brother and I have a snack, homemade frozen
yogurt, iced tea or bagged juices are favourites, and start on homework.
Hopefully, we’re done in time for dinner, and have preferably practised piano
already (my mom is set on having us take piano lessons, partial credit is given
to Auntie Jocelyn for that idea, and my brother and I are not so happy about
that!). Dinner is normally pretty good- you’ve seen some of my mom’s culinary
creations, but some of them… like maybe the time we ate mush for dinner… ;)-
and then we have the rest of the evening free! I like to read- surprise,
surprise!- or make earrings or something of the sort until bedtime. We have
relatively early bedtimes, especially in relation to the kids in Canada,
but I’ve learned that there are kids that have earlier bedtimes, so I try not
to complain about my 8:30 bedtime.
Nathan is usually in bed by 7:30,
and I try not to whine about having to go to bed by 7:00 when I was in fourth grade… ;)
That’s pretty much all there is to it, sorry if that was an
incredibly stale retelling of what happens here in Niger…
I don’t really know what you guys want to know about!! If there’s anything in
particular that you want to know about our lives here, feel free to ask! My mom
will probably then drag me on out here to write to you again, but I suppose…
Until later!
I, for one, enjoyed your blogpost, Jaelyn...going to have to pass by and take a look inside that locker of yours to see what all the commotion is about! ;)
ReplyDeleteNo offense to your mom and dad but that was one of the best blog posts written in chenfamilytravels. Take a pic of your locker for us. Love you!
ReplyDeleteGreat first blog entry Jaelyn! You were so honest and shared your true feelings with us! I can't wait to read your future entries! I think everyone is very curious about the state of your locker now ;)
ReplyDeleteWow quite literate Jaelyn! I for one could never write like you when I was your age! In life I have found that the things you dislike doing now are the things you wish you kept up with or glad that your parents made you do when you become and adult. If you have the tenacity to grit it out I bet you will be a whole lot more thankful in the end. And as man with a little bit of ocd I for one would wish that you would clean your locker! Haha!
ReplyDeleteGreat blog post Jaelyn! You definitely have to put up a picture of your locker! For your next post, I would love to hear about your thoughts about Canada vs Niger from a kids perspective! Lots of love xoxo
ReplyDeleteJaelyn, that was such a great read! I hope to read more blog entries from you in the future!
ReplyDeleteOlalalala! We got us a super journalist in training. Thanks super much Jaelyn. That is great!!!
ReplyDeleteUncle Tim