I recently
read an article about how important it is to wash your hands before you pick up
a baby. It is understandable; babies are so small and can’t fight all the germs
introduced to them.
This baby
was born 2 weeks ago. His mother was sick and he was delivered via c-section. She died during the surgery and so his grandmother
has brought him home to her hut and is raising him. As I look around their hut,
it astonishes me that any child in the village can survive the conditions they
are raised in. To stack more odds against this little one, he is drinking
formula. The water used to make this formula is from an open (i.e., unhygienic) well. When I sat with
grandma to ask her how she prepared the formula, I was relieved to hear that
she was taught to boil the water and to use boiling water to wash the bottle.
This baby
seems so small and the hut seems so dirty. What a miracle that Niger ’s child mortality rate (death of
children under age 5 for every 1000 live births) has decreased from 226 in 1998
to 96 in 2015. Pretty good, but it is 5
in Canada.
| Typical view of outside a hut |
I’m not
sure where I am going with this post. Just that sometimes, it seems impossible.
What are we doing here and how are we helping?
I pray that
re-iterating the need to boil the well water, to clean the bottle with boiling
water, and to throw away formula that is not drunk will help him beat the odds. I pray that all the germs that are
introduced to him will make him stronger and will not make him a statistic. God help us to help the poor, to have compassion, and to not despair.
Thanks for posting. Just your being there is a big part of hope for this child and grandmother. I pray that the Lord will show you how further to respond in the days ahead. It also blesses/challenges us here in various ways.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you and all the people of Niger for whom you touch and bless in ways known and unknown.
ReplyDelete