It has been another eventful month. We continue to see temperatures going down and that makes us all much happier! There are still days that go up to 40C but we are so thankful that it is dry heat and that the nights get down to 23C sometimes! It has yet to get even cooler, so we are excited!
I will start with a couple of silly pictures of the kids. Jaelyn received a princess dress-up set for her birthday and of course, Nathan had to try it on too!


Below is one of the cutest little girls I have seen here in Niger. Her name is Aissa and her mother is another language partner of mine. Aissa had a twin but her brother died very young. A lot of the times, the parents do not even know the cause of death, as it is just such a common thing for a child to die here. One in four children under the age of 5 dies. That is such a crazy statistic!!
And in stark contrast, here are our healthy children. I am so thankful for them. They are adjusting very well. They are enjoying their time at their new building, but their school has started the immense task of rebuilding and renovating their original campus. This requires funds that they do not have. If you could help in this area, please go to this link and click on "Sahel Academy" to donate.
![]() |
| I am not sure exactly what pose they are posing here...maybe gangster styles?! :) I was having a creative moment and decided to make some matching clothes for them. |
Our family was invited to the home of our guard, Hamidou. Below with our family, is Abdoulaye, Hamidou's older brother.
We got to sit and hang out with the whole clan. Hamidou's father is the chief of a village called "Kongou" and though we were celebrating with this family in their "suburb" home, Rog and I will be starting this week in the village to help with some health teaching. (The chief is the one on the bottom right, sporting the lime green robe. He was very happy to get a pair of sunglasses from me as his old ones were broken)
Here is Rog with our guard, Hamidou. He was married last year and is going to be a father in a few months. He is such a hard worker and we really appreciate him. He comes to work on time everyday at 7am, after having ridden his bicycle for at least an hour.
The family got a laugh out of Rog getting up on this donkey. They had asked if our kids wanted a ride on said donkey, but they would not even get close, so Rog volunteered.
Another event that Rog and I got to go to for the first time was a Fulani baby naming ceremony. This happens 8 days after the birth of the baby. The child is prayed for (though the child is not physically present) and then given a name. This baby is the child of our night guard, Karim. His wife is the one in the background, with another son, Sainu. Sainu also had his twin pass away. Karim and his wife now have 5 children. Karim, like many others, have a hard time managing the money that he receives and is always asking for loans and advances.
Here is a picture of Jaelyn with a tiny kitten. I took the kids with me as I went to have some conversation time with my language partner.
I guess that is all for now! Happy Remembrance Day for our Canadian family and friends! Until next time...











Love the fabric of the matching clothes - NVOC rocks ;) So good to hear / see that you are all doing well. The kids are growing - blessings on you friends as you serve. Praying here often for you.
ReplyDelete