A village trip
We went to the village of Kongou and will continue to make trips out there every month to help out a teammate while she is on home assignment. The picture below is the chief of this village. His brother was building a new grainery to fit all of their harvest of millet (in background). The picture below the chief is one of Rog and I getting to drink this millet in a form called cobbal. It is pounded down millet that is made into a ball, then water is added to make it a mush. Yep! It tastes as good as it sounds...especially with the bonus sand bits added....
Field Day
The kids had a track and field day and it was a scorching 38C or so outside! Their school rents out this big stadium in the city (for a very reasonable price!) and the entire school gets to have lots of fun...I hung out with Nathan's Kindergarten class for a big chunk of time and it was fun (but tiring!)
![]() |
| Here is Nathan running...um, don't know what he was looking at...I think he may have even placed third! |
![]() |
| Nathan sitting and waiting patiently with his Korean friends |
Visit with friends:
I visit Zainabou once a week (a new language partner) and her 2 year old is so cute! Here she is trying to do what almost every woman, man and child does here...carry things on their head!
![]() |
| Aissa and her friend playing "house"...her friend has a doll strapped to her back and the collection of broken plastic toys must have taken a lot of imagination to use! |
Here are some more just random pictures
![]() |
| Nathan singing at his school Christmas concert |
Looked up how to make paper Christmas trees and tried to decorate the house a bit to get us into the spirit of things. It is weird here in that there are NO carols playing wherever you go, no snow, no decorations, no hint that it is the Christmas season! I know it is the extreme opposite back in Canada and the States where the materialism and huge shindigs have masked the whole meaning behind Christmas, but it is a bit hard for us to get into the spirit of things here.
Had another sewing frenzy...made some stockings and Christmas presents (headbands for friends and teachers!)
![]() |
| So the website I looked up said that these were so easy to make, you could make them assembly-line styles...um, well...these headbands took me 3 days to sew!! (I think there were 12 in total) |















No comments:
Post a Comment