Sunday, October 14, 2012

Thankful for: flooding, feasts, and friends

We have had a busy month (since the last post) and I am happy to be able to share some photos and events with all of you!
Near the end of rainy season (end of September), we had another heavy rain and this was the road outside of our house! We were supposed to head to a teammates' house for dinner, but we were flooded in and could not leave! Seeing a taxi completely stuck in the water deterred us from attempting an escape. Craziness!

We were so thankful that the kids were able to start back at school! They have adjusted well at their new campus and we continue to pray for the teachers who are working in cramped spaces, having to be extra creative, and overall, working many tireless hours. Here is Nathan with his awesome kindergarten teacher (a fellow Canadian to boot!) 

This is not by any means the craziest thing we have ever seen here on the roads (we have seen men on motorcycles carrying a COW!), but it was fun to see. The suitcase was huge and the poor guy had a hard time balancing, but was managing nonetheless.

A picture of the front of our house. These large plants are manioc!!! Also known as cassava, there are tubers under the ground that are eaten and have been growing here now for months! I am sure they are ready to be eaten, but I wait for someone to dig them out. :) I hope to try at least one, but mostly want to be able to give them to our guards and friends.  Rog had originally planted them to help shade the house. I would say they are doing a good job! 

We had a chance to celebrate with our office assistant's wife. She earned a nursing diploma (which our organization paid for). We were eating in a makeshift shady area just beside the animals. It was very smelly (though that grew on you after a while) but the heat was...hot! and did NOT get better with time...but, the food was good (roasted lamb and couscous which we got to eat with our hands) and we appreciated being there and being able to help further this woman's education. 

Nathan's sweaty head near the end of the evening...it was hot! 

October is birthday month in our family as both kids were born on Thanksgiving weekend! Here is Nathan opening his birthday presents with just family in the morning. He got a Lego Yoda (who had his own lightsaber!) and LOVED it! (Thank you, auntie Jocelyn!!), he also received a backpack full of Crayola goodies (thank you Hannah and Max!) as well as other goodies (um...maybe mommy and daddy did not actually buy him a gift, but he was happy nonetheless!) 

Then, he got his first birthday party! He invited 3 boys from class and they stayed for 2 hours...I have a new respect for his Kindergarten teacher who has 9 boys and 3 girls in her class!! And as you will see, I did not do much of the work!

Rog was a super Dad as he put the "young Padawans" through a training course that involved lightsabers and balloons (was not a fun morning for me as there were many balloons popping), a trivia quiz and of course, the ultimate showdown at the end. Rog was defeated each time! (and they were ALL a sweaty mess!)

Good ol' mac and cheese for lunch! I used powder that I had bought at bulk barn before coming out. It has been keeping well in the freezer and was Nathan's meal of choice for his birthday lunch. 

When I put this on the table, Rog asked me "why is there an "x" on the table?!" :( This was my attempt at an easy lightsaber cake. 

We had a great potluck dinner with our team for Thanksgiving. We are a thankful bunch!
Jaelyn's birthday came 5 days after Nathan's (recognize the cupcakes?!) Her birthday meal of choice?! Instant noodles!! I also had a few packages (left from the container) of our favourite Shin Ramen (which I mixed with local stuff) and yes, am feeling like a very terrible mother as I do feed my family this unhealthy stuff! (but it is so yummy and so easy to make!)  
Her actual party took place a couple of days later and this time, there were 12 girls in total! But, a much quieter morning than the 4 boys we had the weekend before! (Yes, I recycled the cupcakes, but they were kept in the freezer!)
Our babies are growing up so quickly! We were thankful to celebrate with them and get a year to recover! 
This past month, I also had a chance to meet up with another language partner. This is Jainabou and her 3 girls. Her oldest is the same age as Jaelyn and it has been great to sit and chat with her. I still hope to visit Mariama and her children, but it is always a bit hectic at her place with all the people coming in and out. Jainabou lives in the outskirts of the city and it is much more tranquil and conducive to having conversation. 

 I am amazed at how God provides for us here. I am moved at how many people pray and support us and I am so thankful to be here. What a privilege it is to be a part of what God is doing. Thank you to all of you who think of us, write us notes of encouragement, remember us and love us from afar.




2 comments:

  1. As always, I love seeing photos and getting caught up. The water outside your house is amazing... I can see how the taxi got stuck. Thanks for sharing and for being there and doing what you do. Hugs to all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mira and Roger,
    I so laughed at the pics of this post! I'm glad for your honest candour..yes, I don't envy Nathan's kindergarten teacher who has that many boys! Happy that school has started and teachers/children are adjusting in the new building. I also wondered why Nathan's b-day arrangement was shaped in an X! I'm glad for simplicity! Try to stay cool :)

    ReplyDelete