There is not much to update but thought I would put up a few pictures. The kids have been home during the days since school was closed and doing really well playing together (Nathan has roped Jaelyn into playing Star Wars with him!). Rog and I continue to plug along with language studies. We have a tutor that comes to our house 3 days a week and spend the other time studying on our own and trying to find people to talk to. In terms of school for the kids, the good news is that they have found huge houses to move into and with the help of MANY from the community and the hard work of all the teachers, school will start up again on Monday!
 |
| Trying to pound corn like the locals...did this for a couple of minutes and ended up with a nasty blister! |
 |
| The ladies showing me how to do it properly...I must not have been able to do it well without a baby wrapped to my back! |
 |
| A taxi was stuck in the sand in front of us...who needs sand ladders (kind of traction) when you can put down bush pieces?! |
 |
| They got the car out that way! (after many minutes of attempting different things...including trying to push the taxi out from behind in our director's 4 wheel drive, but almost squishing the bumper!) |
 |
| We went to a wedding (Nathan's preschool teacher from last year) and it was the first time people on our team saw Rog in "normal" clothes and shoes! Had to document! (Thanks Rich for leaving the shirt behind! - For those who do not know, Rog always wears Crocs, convertible pants - to turn into shorts whenever, and a synthetic shirt - which is cooler and can be wet if it is too hot!) |
 |
| Visiting my language partner and finding kids washing the dishes...just thought I would add this picture because they look so happy |
 |
| The girl on the right, Khadiza, had a really bad ear infection (green pus coming out of both ears) and thanks to your donations to our Work Special, I was able to buy her meds and she was feeling better the next time I visited. I also found out that 5 girls in this family - moms included - had really bad lice and bought them some anti-lice shampoo. I tried to explain the instructions (in Fulfulde!) and tried to teach them how to avoid it in the future...hm...feeling a bit skeptical, as conditions are just so bad, but am hoping they have learned! |
 |
| Had to add a picture of the kids...they are ready for school (and we are ready for them to be in school too!) |
Roger looks a tad bit warm in that 'real shirt' :). And I think I am going to post the photo of the girls doing dishes above my sink, so that my girls will realize how good they have it without a dish washer. As always, good to hear/ see how things are going. May God bless you this coming month.
ReplyDeleteAh I miss you guys! You look so good!
ReplyDelete