Thursday, March 24, 2011

tidbits

I am starting another post...it is March 23...but I have no idea what I will write. I doubt it will be finished by today, but it will go up soon. I just feel guilty for not updating more often. It has been more than a month and I had promised to update at least every month. I guess the best way to do this is to post up random thoughts:
- I am an auntie again! Michael Eun Soo Kim was born St. Patrick's Day after my sister started having contractions 5 weeks earlier! Thankfully, he is healthy and Suzzy is recovering well. My parents now have 9 grandchildren!

- I have decided to deactivate my facebook account for a while. I was spending way too much time on it, but it started because I was upset with the lack of privacy and security of facebook (ironic that I am now posting on a blog that is open to anyone!). I have decided that I will go back on after Easter. It really is a great way to keep in touch with family and friends, and to keep them updated on us, but it can be a huge waste of time too.
- update on Jaelyn: she just got her 2nd report card and it is hard for me to let go of the Asian mentality for the necessity of «perfect marks». She is in grade 1 and doing great in school and trying hard. That is all that counts and I need to keep reminding myself of that! Yikes, it is hard to let go of things that you are raised with...I still remember when I would come home with a mark of 90%, it was not «good job!» but «where is the other 10%?». It did push me to strive, but it also pushed me to just get the marks, regardless of whether I was learning the material. I learned the system. I don't want that for Jaelyn or Nathan. I want them to learn and love learning and try their best. The marks don't matter. Hm, hard to convince even myself of that though...can't help getting upset if I don't get straight A+s in my language courses!!


- update on Nathan: he is a typical 3 year old with lots of energy. He still needs to have naps (the dayhome insists) and that means he gets up pretty early (around 5am) but we are thankful for our healthy children. He loves going on the computer (yes, he navigates the bookmarked pages and watches DVDs on it) and loves to pretend playing drums with chopsticks.
Nathan with his cousin Lucas at a recent visit

- we have dates!! We have booked our flights to be in Edmonton June 1st (Rog will drive back with the car and is hoping to do it in 4 days) and we will likely leave Edmonton for Niger on July 23. We will be going to Mexico for a week at the end of April for my youngest sister's wedding (something we had thankfully planned and budgeted for last year while I was still working as an optometrist!) and boy, is the time flying! We are hoping to sell our condo in Edmonton before flying out to Africa. Anyone interested in a townhouse condo in South Edmonton? ;)
- it is officially spring, and though I am excited to see the snow melting and have the warm weather come, I can't help but be a bit sad to think that this is the last time we will see snow for 4 years!! Trying to enjoy the last of it...here are a few pictures...I will try not to overdo it, will have a large album to upload once I am back on facebook!

The weather in Québec is mild compared to Edmonton, but there is MUCH more snow...they are so efficient though in clearing it!

Rog's brother's family come for a visit during Family Day weekend (ON gets a holiday, QC does not...but we had a great visit!)

Volunteered for Jaelyn's field trip to Domaine de Mazurets...skating, snowshoeing...lots of fun...

celebrating my birthday at Chez Victor's...thank you for the gift card, Joze!


Jaelyn is a great big sister...here, she is helping Nathan with his hat.

Trying to enjoy the snow while we can!

Celebrating Jocelyn's birthday! (Her birthday is on St. Patrick's day)


That is all for now...hope to update again soon!!

1 comment:

  1. Love the update! Thanks for taking time. We think and pray for you often. Isn't it amazing that you have dates already - June will come fast!

    ReplyDelete