Monday, October 25, 2010

Balance

I have learned a very important lesson this past month....one that I have learned before, but it seems that I need to relearn it often. Balance. We have been in Quebec for almost 4 months already. It has been mostly good, and we are really learning a lot, trying to get the most of our time here, trying to enjoy it and relish this time together as a family. There are definitely times when it is easier to do this, and times when it gets hard. 


We had a GREAT visit from our "bosses"...more like dear friends and huge supports for us. Their visit couldn't have come at a better time. We were starting to burn out. As part of our "job" as we learn French, we need to log how many hours a week we are spending learning the language. Rog was logging up to 50 hours a week (I was more like 40). We were not getting enough sleep because we would go to sleep too late and the kids would get us up too early. I was getting very cranky and feeling bitter and it was starting to show. So, when R & M came for a visit and told us that we could and probably should drop a course to lighten our course load...we did it. Wow...it has made a difference. It was the course with the least work, but it still made a difference. We also got to go on a date. A friend babysat for us, and Rog and I got to run errands, go out to eat lunch, and then went for a walk to enjoy the beautiful Fall colors. It was SOOO good for our souls!

Every time you get on a plane and they go over the safety procedures, they tell you "if the cabin pressure drops"...well, I won't re-iterate word-for-word, but basically, put your mask on before you try to help someone else. That, for me, especially as a mother, is counter-intuitive. I must get my child safe and breathing before I can do that for myself. But, I see the logic in it. I can't help my child if I am not breathing first! So, as I try to create balance in my life as wife, mother and student, I must remember to put on my own mask first. I think I often feel that this is "selfish" but there is a line. I need to take care of myself before I can help others. That does not necessarily mean I need to go to a spa every week and get a mani/pedi every month. I need to put all things aside and spend time with my Lord and Provider regularly and I need to make it a priority. I need to make my marriage a priority and put effort into it to keep it alive and well (for the sake of our children too!). I need to spend time enjoying my kids and not worry about the cleaning. Balance. Le juste milieu. Hope I won't need another lesson on that too soon. 

We managed to get in both kids' birthdays, Thanksgiving in Ottawa with Roger's brother's family (and visit with my parents and sister at the same time!), midterms, 40+ hours of language a week, dinner cooking, lunch packing, grocery shopping, potty training, dinner with a classmate and her husband, laundry, cleaning...the list goes on, but all was so good and I am really trying to learn to enjoy the ride and not sweat the small stuff. (For picture updates, go to www.facebook.com/mommymira)

Soyez toujours joyeux d'appartenir au Seigneur. Je le répète: Soyez Joyeux! Que votre bonté soit evidente aux yeux de tous. Le Seigneur viendra bientôt. 
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! May your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.
Philippians 4:4,5

3 comments:

  1. One of the best things I have learned and try to keep close to my heart. SelfCARE is never SelfISH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Roger and Mira,
    You know, I'm very disappointed you never informed me you had a blog up, I had to find out you had one from the Hiebert's blog roll call!

    Just kidding, so glad to hear R+M's visit came at a good time and it was what you needed. We do have the coolest "bosses"! Something I always tell myself is that we aren't very good to anybody if we don't take care of ourselves. It's the Martha/Mary syndrome but we definitely need the balance of both. The book "Having a Mary heart in a Martha world" is a good read, check it out!
    Deep breathing exercises are important...also progressive muscle relaxation exercises are good as well, google it...at first when I started doing them I thought they were a joke but I realize in North America we are really good at treating our bodies like machines and we don't know how to actually relax our bodies!

    Take care, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your journey with us, Mira. We pray often for you both and your kids. MUCH love....

    ReplyDelete