Yes, it has been almost FIVE months since my last blog post. I apologize. I thought it was high time to update on what we have been doing since coming back to Canada. We arrived on August 1st and it has been AMAZING. We have a new appreciation for this beautiful country of ours. Our son still loves to turn on the bathroom tap and drink COLD, CLEAN water STRAIGHT OUT OF THE TAP!! What a novelty!
We are "home" (I still feel like Edmonton is home, I was born and raised here, but I am not sure what my kids think, having spent half their lives in Africa) for 8 more months (gah! time flies!) and we are keeping busy while we are here. The kids have settled well into their school, and we have been speaking at different churches and events, sharing about our work in Niger. I have also started working again (if you need an eye exam, I am back at Southgate next to Lenscrafters!) in order to keep my license as an Optometrist. It's been great to be back and it SNOWED today! We promise not complain about the cold ALL YEAR!
Here are a few pictures summarizing our time here so far. Lots of reunions with family and friends and enjoying every moment. And today, I had a chance to speak at an event for health professionals and met Gord Steinke (Global TV anchor and producer). He's a normal bloke, like you and I, but does some great work and supports lots of charities. I think that is all it takes...each of us ordinary people, doing our small part, to try to make this world better. With all that is going on right now in the world, we really have to focus on LOVING others and we have to stop spreading hate....
| My sister coerced me to speak at an event for Canadian health professionals...it was a beautiful morning with snow on the ground and we got to take a picture with Gord Steinke! |
| This picture is obviously a bit outdated, but we have LOVED catching up with a lot of friends and family, chaperoning field trips to the zoo and just doing normal, Canadian things! |
I won't promise to update monthly while we are home, but will try to post if anything interesting comes along. In the meantime, we hope we can see you during our time at home!
That was one thing I loved about home assignment - the beauty of Alberta. I often printed google maps and followed the back/secondary highways as I drove to various churches. It was a great (and peaceful) way to see more of our beautiful province!!
ReplyDeleteThough, admittedly, that is more of a fall and spring idea - rather than a winter idea with the ice and snow conditions!
Enjoy your time travelling around!
(I always found interested spaces to visit ... such as Vulcan, AB - and the Star Trek sites in town. I stopped there between Strathmore and Lethbridge tours!)