Friday, July 13, 2012

First of many...

This month had a lot of firsts, so I will try to organize my thoughts and pictures to show all of the “firsts”.

Cooking “firsts”
I attempted making steamed (pork/beef) buns for the first time. They ended up not too bad and I used my mom’s recipe for steamed red bean buns. No red beans here though, so put meat and veggies inside. I think I have made them 3 or 4 times already! 

As various teammates headed home for the year, I ‘inherited’ many things such as lasagne noodles. So, another friend and I made lasagne from scratch. Making lasagne from scratch is not a first for me (maybe a second though!) However, making cottage cheese from scratch is! The lasagne was quite tasty and will likely be attempted again. I also added Moringa leaves to the sauce (I did not have spinach but wanted it to be semi healthy). We have a tree in our yard and the leaves come in quite handy! For those who have not heard of the Moringa leaf, here is just a bit of nutritional information I have found on it: 7 times the vitamin C of oranges, 4 times the calcium of milk and twice the protein of yogurt. Many other vitamins and minerals are present - literally from A to zinc, and all the essential amin acids. we give away most of our leaves to friends, but I think I should start cooking with it more!


First of many celebrations!
Rog celebrated a birthday here in Niger for the first time. We splurged and went to a local hotel for their lunch buffet. We ate so much that I didn't have to cook dinner! We decided to eat homemade Oreo ice cream instead! yum! (I didn't make the Oreos, just smashed them up and added them to the homemade ice cream).



Had to add this picture because it is just too funny but such a day-to-day occurrence! Jaelyn is probably reading this book for the 4th time, but she couldn't put it down for just a couple seconds to let her brother take a picture of us!
We celebrated our first Canada Day here in Niger. It was a blast. We gathered all the Canadians we could find in the city and tried to eat Canadian food (tourtière, nanaimo bars, maple flavoured cornbread) and drink Tim Horton's coffee. We also had a Canada trivia game organized by the kids. I learned a lot that day (like could you tell me who designed the Canadian flag? Actually, I couldn't tell you that either.)

Jaelyn rode a two-wheeler for the first time! She is so proud of herself, as are her parents! It is quite a challenge to be riding in this kind of heat, but the kids have adapted wonderfully. 


First funeral of a loved one back home
I hate to acknowledge that we will likely be missing out on many more weddings, births and funerals but my grandma's death was the first big 'event' that I have missed out on and it was hard to be so far. People have said that we are "suffering" out here, but this would be the hardest sacrifice...being so far from family and loved ones at important times. My grandma died at the ripe age of 90. She had a full life and was quite the lady. She lived with us when I grew up and helped my parents raise all 5 of their girls. I had already grieved a bit when I said goodbye to her a year ago, knowing that I would not likely see her alive again, but it was still sad when the time came. Technology is amazing though and my family was able to send photos and videos to allow us to feel like we were there with them.   


Here she is holding Nathan when he was just a couple months old!
These last few photos do not really fit into the "firsts" category, but thought I would add them anyway.

Nathan having a playdate with Moïse

Jaelyn and Jemimah...she is so cute!


Rog with our guard, Hamidou. This is Rog's new and improved hot water heater being tested in our yard! 
An up and coming "first" - our first visit from family!
We are extremely excited as Esther (my youngest sister) and her husband, Richard, are coming out in 2 weeks! (Well, 16 days rounded down.) The kids are so excited and as Jaelyn and I pray before bed, one of her prayers for the last couple of weeks has been "please do not let anything happen that makes them not able to come"! Hopefully this is the first of many who will be coming to visit us! Any takers?!














1 comment:

  1. Oh I'm so impressed with you and your cooking skills Mira! I'm so sorry that you were not able to be with your family when your gramma passed away. I hope you take some comfort in your memories of her and knowing that she is with God. Enjoy your visit with Esther & Richard. I love keeping updated on the Chen Family Travels and you guys are in our prayers constantly. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete