Well...as before, I think the pictures speak more than my words...will explain as they are put up. For a summary, we are still in the guesthouse, but doing well here. Still living out of our 8 suitcases but last we heard, our container is on the border of Benin and Niger! Our house...well...
I am hoping it is ready for us to move in by the end of the month, but there is still much that needs to be done, even once all the construction/plumbing on it is done (curtain rods need to go up, it needs to be cleaned, our container needs to come so we can have beds, etc.)...so it may be November before we are in...but we have been enjoying our time at the guesthouse with our new housemates, Frederick and Patricia. They have been here for a month now and hope to stay for 10 months. They have been a great help with keeping Nathan busy while we try to get in some more hours of language study. Rog and I have started up Fulfulde, and as Fred says, we have "full full days"! It is a tough language, but we are very thankful for our language tutor (I will try to remember to get a photo of him for the next blog). Jaelyn continues to do really well at school and Nathan has adjusted well at school and finally has NO TEARS when we drop him off! What a huge answer to prayer! He comes home singing French songs and brought home a picture of his class (24 students) and he could name them ALL! (and they do not have easy, North American names!)
 |
| Arielle (teammates' daughter) waiting patiently to have her turn pulverizing the garlic, leaves and other yummy things that went into a very yummy African dish. I had a chance to join a short term team to have an authentic African meal (well, westernized in that it had meat in it and most locals cannot afford meat). |
 |
| Nathan gets to play with Sofiyama. Unfortunately, the baby had malaria and was not feeling well....but was treated and got well soon after...he is the son of some locals that are friends with some of the short term team that was here. |
 |
| I got henna done! it was beautiful but unfortunately, only lasted a week or so....yes, I noticed that I am VERY glossy in all of my pictures...it is sweat :) |
 |
| some local boys helping to push a taxi in the neighborhood |
 |
| another visit to the sand dunes with another short term team |
 |
| got a picture with Lisa, a fellow Fulani worker and dear teammate |
 |
| Nathan wanted to "roll down the sand hills" (anyone familiar with the Wiggles?!) |
 |
| "the straw that broke the camel's back"...saw this with the short term team and had to take a picture. However, the man came over and asked for money from us for taking a picture of his camel. It was the first camel I saw like this...but have seen them almost daily since I took this picture! |
 |
| Bennett standing on the turtle (named George) at the rec centre |
 |
| Jaelyn and Nathan hanging out in our future home |
 |
| Rog and I dressed up in our team outfits...anyone know how I can change the orientation of this picture?! It is upright in my photoeditor, but uploads onto the blog like this... |
 |
| Jaelyn with Myrna and Shirley from the short term team...we had a blast with them all! |
 |
| Frederick and Patricia with George |
 |
| I was on my way home from picking Nathan up from school and was thankfully close to the curb when the tire blew out. Also close to home so was able to call Rog who came and changed the tire for me... |
 |
| Nathan has recently shown much interest in Math. He likes to do Math "tests" while his sister does her homework. He even knows how to write some of the numbers now! |
 |
| Just thought I would take a picture and post it of something very common...a donkey on the side of the road (usually they are pulling something ON the road!) |
 |
| Nathan turns FOUR! I baked him this cake (first chocolate cake EVER) and he took it to school to share with his classmates and teachers. Jaelyn is dressed in her bathing suit because she was having "Spirit Week" at school and was to dress up...that day happened to be Circus day and she wore the bathing suit top as an "acrobat"! (No, I have never been creative...) |
 |
| Baked brownies for dinner since the cake went to school with him. Also baked cupcakes for Jaelyn to take to school the next day for her birthday and then another cake for our thanksgiving potluck. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of Jaelyn on her birthday :( oops. Happy SEVENTH Birthday, sweetie! |
 |
| Rog played in a softball tournament. It is a big tournament that happens once a year. Yes, played in one of the hottest months of the year...almost 40C weather...but they have fun and that is what counts. |
 |
| Jaelyn and Nathan in our team outfits...on our way to thanksgiving dinner with our team. |
 |
| my first ever apple pie...crust and all...it was pretty good if I do say so myself! |
 |
| Malik and Cecilia. Malik is the son of Nathan's teacher, Joëlle...what a cutie! |
 |
| Nathan with his teacher Joëlle and her honey Salam |
 |
| Nathan's preschool class |
Love all the pictures and a glimpse into life there! Praying for you guys!
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteWe are glad to see you settling into a long-term residence. You all look very good in the colorful team uniform. Have good time while you are in Turky and Paris. Mom and Dad